Keep small fish in small ponds

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:09 pm

• What if to play humans in duels you had to have six talismans equipped? Tether new players to competing against A.I. which is more on their skill level. I don't like the tinge of disappointment new players feel at facing me in duels. They may have been on a streak or only trying to squeeze in a duel in their spare time and as an opponent I feel like more of an unwelcome nuisance. I think duels should still not toggle the human option, but the human option could be blocked unless a player has all six talismans equipped on their wizard.

Of course, this requirement should only apply to 1v1 Duels. Playing humans with less than six talismans is popular in Customs.
    Glas Masv, Child of the Light-Eater, Ascendent Metamorphic Singularity; MastrMynd of Hegemony

Join Hegemony! Original PvP/Realm/Lore Guild.

Send a PM or contact Glas Masv aka GlassJaw in-game or on Discord to Apply.
    Glas Masv

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:40 am

• Hmm, it is so hard anyway to get live duels, I'm not sure this is a good idea. For my part, if I see a new player with an incomplete or random-looking (bound goblin:) talisman set, I try and remember not to activate any of mine for that game.l
    RafiRomero

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:52 pm

• +1

I've always thought that it's a bad idea to direct new players to towards the competitive match formats before they've had adequate chance to learn the game.

I do think however that CR is a more enjoyable game when played against humans so I wonder whether the following could be an option.

- Only let human players under level 5 match against other human player under level 5. This way they can have fun whilst learning the game.

- Turn the duel into an unranked 'friendly' if one of the participants is under level 5. That way the experienced player isn't losing anything by teaching that new player how to play as opposed to just thrashing them.

- Direct new players to custom games. Doing this would require a fix to the custom game bug which currently makes that area of the game look broken.

- Rename offline games to something like 'Practice arena' so that new players will naturally look there first.

- Allow duels to be played in classic mode where there is then less for new players to consider.

- Increase the turn times when players are under level 5 so that new player have the time to think about their moves.

- Increase the map sizes so that new (and old) players have room to maneouvre.
    Last edited by SpiteAndMalice on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:54 pm

• RafiRomero wrote:Hmm, it is so hard anyway to get live duels, I'm not sure this is a good idea. For my part, if I see a new player with an incomplete or random-looking (bound goblin:) talisman set, I try and remember not to activate any of mine for that game.l

You might; but I'm not sure that everyone else treats new players in such a fair way. Plus some talismans come preactivated.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information