1.8 Turn Order For Matchmaker Games

Report any bugs you find here. Include the steps for reproducing it if you can, and the version number.
ahMostyn

1.8 Turn Order For Matchmaker Games

Post by ahMostyn » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Having just started a raft of Async League matches, 3-4 player with a lot of the same people, it appears that the turn order may have been determined by the order in which people submitted game requests rather than randomised.

Not sure whether this is intended or accidental behaviour.

Mazy

Re: 1.8 Turn Order For Matchmaker Games

Post by Mazy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:07 pm

I've heard someone else mention this to. Is it that the 'host', player who started the game request (not the player who joined the request), always goes first?

This is also an issue in custom games, in custom FFA (even 1v1) the host is always first to act, custom games are tournament games though, random starting turn orders are essential.. even in friendlies you want (need) FFA to be randomised (as standard in all formats).

There doesn't seem to be any random turn orders in any format (even realms), seems that this is now occurring in ranked to.

stubar

Post by stubar » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Yup, I mentioned this in game chat after starting first in around 15 games that I'd been waiting for people to join for 8+ days. So I'm pretty confident that I was the first person to join/create the game and equally confident that the remaining players have been placed in the turn order that tallies when they joined the game chronologically.

It used to be randomised, but maybe it changed with the implementation of custom games?

We REALLY need randomisation in PVP matches. In one of our forum tournies I offered to flip a coin to decide who went first. This is no way ideal.

Hope these two issues can be looked at and hopefully sorted soon in the interest of fair play.

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:23 pm

What seems to have happened is.. all formats have conformed to custom game rules... Even in ranked the host is always first to act, and the starting orders are no longer randomised.

...I think even the maps for rematches (in ranked) are no longer randomised (the same map just repeats), I'm not 100% sure on this though, surely players who rematch often would be noticing this if this was the case (maybe it just hasn't been reported).

So, a Brief summary of matchmaker bugs:
1) Host is always first to act (it's no longer randomised)
2) Starting order is no longer randomised (the order in which players join is the turn order in the match)
3) Maps are no longer randomised when you rematch (unconfirmed, needs testing)

stubar

Post by stubar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:56 am

Mazy wrote:So, a Brief summary of matchmaker bugs:
1) Host is always first to act (it's no longer randomised)
2) Starting order is no longer randomised (the order in which players join is the turn order in the match)
3) Maps are no longer randomised when you rematch (unconfirmed, needs testing)
really hope these things can be addressed for the upcoming update. especially we need a randomise order option for custom matches and compulsory randomised order for ranked matches!

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:47 am

This is still happening in the ranked matchmaker, the game creator/host always goes first.

If you create 20 ranked asyncs you're guaranteed to go first in every one.

stubar

Post by stubar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:43 am

Mazy wrote:This is still happening in the ranked matchmaker, the game creator/host always goes first.

If you create 20 ranked asyncs you're guaranteed to go first in every one.
but there is no way to know if you are the first in the queue as this is all hidden, you simply state you want to play ranked.

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Yes true.. I'll describe the issue a different way.. there will always be players setting up blocks of async games, say for example 20+ 1v1 classic chaos async matches.. someone else will come along and do the same thing and they will likely get matched with that player in most (or all) of their games, meaning that the initial player is player one (the host) in every single game, the starting order is not randomised (probably because it's using the same code that is used in the custom matchmaker?).

I haven't found a workaround yet.. you can stagger joining matches in an attempt to not get matched with that same player in every single game (and always be the second to act), but once there are that many matches set up and waiting for players to join you're probably going to end up being player two in all of their games, or someone else's games.

It's kind of first come first served.. It's ranked matches, but you can choose whether you want First Turn Advantage on a tiny map or not. If you want FTA, queue up as many available slots on your async list as possible.. if you don't want FTA just join the occasional match, hosted games are already set up waiting for players to join and the starting order is not randomised.

So I guess what needs to happen is when you have players set up blocks of asyncs, rather than player two always being assigned to the player one's games (the 'host'), sometimes player one should be assigned to player two's games...

..Or, just always randomise starting orders in all matches (which is how it used to work, fair and balanced).. Custom matches need an option to be able to randomise the starting order to, in fact it's just as essential to have the option to randomize starting orders in custom matches as it is in ranked matches, because customs are league/tournaments to.

stubar

Post by stubar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 pm

tl;dr
Mazy wrote:..Or, just always randomise starting orders in all matches (which is how it used to work, fair and balanced)..