1v1 going first, map size and map preview

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.

• Didn't turn order used to be randomised when starting a new game? I'm playing a series of friendly 1v1 games with various friends, and whoever wins always seems to go first. Combined with the new smaller maps (which we don't much care for), it means the winner is nearly always at an advantage, able to get close enough to dominate central mana sprites if they exist on the map. We've taken to selecting our own maps instead of using random map, as there are a few howlers out there that just feel unfair in Chaos Mode.

Is there a portfolio / gallery of maps available anywhere, that can be used as a reference? Otherwise, it would be really nice if - when you were scrolling through the map selection - it displayed a thumbnail of each map so you see what you were letting yourself in for.
    krayzkrok

• Yes, The non-randomised starting order thing came in with custom lobbies, the host always starts first, which is ok for when players want to select a specific starting order.. but 9 times out of 10 players prefer (or require) the starting orders to be randomised (for 1v1, 3way/4way etc), just for the sake of fairness... The custom lobby should perhaps have the capacity to act as a 'referee', in the same way the ranked matchmaker does, by assigning a random starting order.

Having said that, there was also a bug with the random matchmaker which meant that it was behaving in the same way as a custom lobby by making the game creator the host, in other words if a player was to create a large block of games (for others to join) they were guaranteed first turn advantage in every game they started, it was possible to have 20+ ranked async games as 'player one'.. I don't know if this has been fixed yet, I would have thought so though.

There is a long standing request to have an option built in to custom lobbies to randomise the starting orders ..and have random starting orders put back into the random matchmaker (if it hasn't been already.. I have a feeling it might just place every player in the order that they joined, rather than randomise them at the moment the last player joins).

Regarding custom lobby started orders, the current work around is for match hosts/tournament organisers to find an alternative method of manually randomising every game's starting orders.
    Mazy

• I completely agree with your other point about map size (and design) to, the reworks to the 1v1 maps has increased first turn advantage and just generally lessened strategy, tactics and the gaming experience as a whole.

There was never really an issue with any maps before, whichever one you got it was completely fine. But since the map reworks It has now got to the stage where random maps almost feels unfair, some of them are too small (reworked for duel mode/law mode), it's now possible to get a real stinker of a map.. already some maps are being manually excluded from custom tournaments.

The best way to preview all the maps is to go through the drop-down menu map pool list in offline mode (and then start the games). A lot of really good 1v1 maps were downsized, negatively impacting the way matches play out (chaos mode matches). This may just be my subjective opinion though...

As well as inferior reworks to some of the original 1v1 maps, there are also some newer ones that don't quite work either (compared to the original maps), for example there's one called Erosion which is basically a 3 hex wide corridor, semi disguised by the fact that it has a bend in it (it's still just a short and narrow strip of actual board space, and it plays out as such).. it's just a bad map for so many reasons (massive first turn advantage etc)

...other changes to the games mechanics has probably made the issue of map size (and design) more obvious to (e.g, less burn cards, increased magic attack power, less alignment swing).

'Sprite gates' are still an issue to... pathways between the wizard starting areas completely blocked off by sprites (impassable by ground based creatures) which sometimes causes long stalemates (and draws) because sometimes neither wizard has the ability to take them or go around them or over them.
    Mazy

• Yes, a "Random play order" toggle on the lobby would be a nice addition. :) At the moment we're alternating who creates the games, but it feels like work the game should be doing for us.

Same with the maps; to build a list of maps that are suitable for 2-player Chaos Mode, we have to go through each one and rate them. I can guarantee that if we did this, we'd finish the last one off and then there'd be a patch the following day which tweaked a bunch of them. A map browser would be great though, wouldn't it? ;)
    krayzkrok

• I'm using the shuffle seeds function on challonge if I ever need to randomise positions at the moment. But you're totally right, it's a royal PITA to have to go externally away from the game in order to do this. Especially when the function has previously existed.

I think something between custom games and randomising player order must be clashing if randomise is selected prior to a game starting, and I wouldn't want to lose custom games for a minute, but surely there must still be some way to randomise player order once a game has been launched.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• non-randomised turn order is obviously an oversight. we used to have it, new system got implemented and it turn-order was forgotten about.

it's really necessary. I think JG said the host can decide the play order. This isn't really an alternative to a coin flip and the main reason the coin flip exists in competitive events!
    stubar

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information