Version 1.12 Beta Testing Build Available

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Julian Gollop
Site Admin
Version 1.12 Beta Testing Build Available

Post by Julian Gollop » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:22 pm

You can try out the new version of Chaos Reborn now, if you are a Steam user. Right click on Chaos Reborn in your library, then click on “Properties”. Select the “Betas” tab and then select the testing version from the drop down menu box. Enter the secret code GoblinGoblinOfSteel. The testing version should then download.

This version sees a major interface revamp, epic gear, new social rank systems, email notifications and a new way to invade or ally.

New features and major changes:
  • Epic staff upgrades: You can upgrade a law, chaos or neutral staff for now (other staff upgrades will be added later). The upgrade is purely visual and you can customise the appearance.
  • Upgrades staffs have additional special effects when wielded.
  • Epic gear upgrades: There is an epic gear upgrade for any of your body gear. This is a purely visual upgrade. You can customise the appearance.
  • Ruins special objectives - When you fight a wizard lord in ruins you must collect the gold from chests before you slay the enemy. The amount of gold you can get from ruins is boosted.
  • You can set up email notification for asynchronous games.
  • New currency - Realm Karma. You earn Realm Karma for being an ally or invader, or for defeating invaders, and for players completing realms you have designed. Spend Realm Karma on social rank progression or Forge Crystals
  • Forge Crystals can now be purchased with Gold or Realm Karma.
  • You get a reward of 100 Gold and 1 Forge Crystal with each level increase
  • Social rank progression is now based on wizard level - 25 for Lord, 50 for King, 100 for Demigod and 200 for God. Alternatively Realm Karma can be used to directly purchase the next social rank.
  • There is a new system for joining realm battles as an ally or invader. Opportunities for invasion or allying now appear as buttons on the right of the screen when you are outside a realm. The game mode (law/chaos) and the rewards are identified.
  • The interface is reorganised with a tab system for the major game modes.
  • In Classic Chaos mode wizards are now shown with selected gear and equipment, although the stats are for generic staff and bodygear.
  • There is a special effect for when an invader joins a realm battle.

Other Changes and bug fixes.
  • There is a visual warning when the turn timer is about to expire.
  • League progression stars for each league level reduced by one, making it quicker to reach arch mage level.
  • Mana for burning first spell reduced from 9 to 8.
  • Bolt tower and air elemental defence increased by 10.
  • Talsiman buffs - "Mana Corruptus" (.8 mana per balance shift point, regardless of number of players) and "Mana Mortificum" (4 mana per death in a duel, rather than 3)
  • You can now dispel your own (or allied) blob around an enemy creature.
  • AI creatures and wizards now obey engagement rules correctly.
  • You can now see if your ally's creatures are real or illusion via the tooltip, just like you can with your own creatures.
  • There is now a confirmation dialog when dismounting a wizard.
  • Baculum Obligo talisman now ensures all spells matching staff start in hand (subject to hand-size constraint, and after Cantio Obligo), rather than just 3 spells.
  • Cantio Compositus talisman now adds one new random spell to deck before shuffle and redraw; activation cost increased.
  • Bellivent talisman (retreat to void ranged attack) now works while mounted, and is always successful.
  • Bestiae Secutus talisman no longer gives a range-bonus to Crystal Wall (Range is still boosted by Cantio Secutus).
  • Draws in duel mode no longer reset your duel level.
  • Fixed multiple empty or dot messages when activating talismans.

zamug

Re: Version 1.12 Beta Testing Build Availabe

Post by zamug » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Love the tabbed interface. It took me a while though to find the button that leads to the async games.

I think the "Searching for opponent" box should probably be moved down a few pixels, so that the tabs remain visible.

stubar

Post by stubar » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Julian Gollop wrote: [*]You can set up email notification for asynchronous games.
How?

Farious

Post by Farious » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:57 pm

stubar wrote:
Julian Gollop wrote: [*]You can set up email notification for asynchronous games.
How?
Menu Cog, Preferences, Email Notifications.

stubar

Post by stubar » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Farious wrote:
stubar wrote:
How?
Menu Cog, Preferences, Email Notifications.
oh i see, email notifications only shows on some "menu cog" screens. I checked some of them before, but mustve checked the wrong menu cogs.

can't "email notifications" be added to all the menu cogs? me and some other player tried to find this feature and both couldn't find it. which may mean many others won't find it, which will reduce the usefulness of it.

Farious

Post by Farious » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Julian Gollop wrote:You can try out the new version of Chaos Reborn now
Cool! Here are my initial thoughts on what I've tested so far.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Epic staff upgrades: You can upgrade a law, chaos or neutral staff for now (other staff upgrades will be added later). The upgrade is purely visual and you can customise the appearance.
[*]Upgrades staffs have additional special effects when wielded.
Great stuff, fantastic work and I look forward to seeing the other Staffs (can't wait!). These imho are also an excellent vector for introducing further cosmetics and effects by possibly being able to upgrade each Epic Staff again and again... It would be cool if players could swap in and out effects like talismans; whether it be ever more spectacular casting animations or fatalities (I've always been a fan of such things since Battle Chess & players being able to customise how they dispatched their foes with their Wizard I think would be another small but important part of the puzzle in keeping them around).
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Epic gear upgrades: There is an epic gear upgrade for any of your body gear. This is a purely visual upgrade. You can customise the appearance.
Looks great. The only suggestion I would make is that you are somehow able to change the colour of the Epic Gear pieces as at the moment it pretty much forces you to change the colour of your bodygear to match that of the Epic Gear.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Ruins special objectives - When you fight a wizard lord in ruins you must collect the gold from chests before you slay the enemy. The amount of gold you can get from ruins is boosted.
Having tried these out I found them a rather fun (and challenging) addition. From a Realm Designer perspective it would also be cool if the number of Chests and their gold amount could be controlled through the Realm Editor. Looking to the future, Chests have huge potential and hopefully one day may contain some form of tradable item or magical artefact.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]New currency - Realm Karma. You earn Realm Karma for being an ally or invader, or for defeating invaders, and for players completing realms you have designed. Spend Realm Karma on social rank progression or Forge Crystals
Great system - love it.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Forge Crystals can now be purchased with Gold or Realm Karma.
Again, great idea. It might however be an idea to also have this option displayed on the Equip screen.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]You get a reward of 100 Gold and 1 Forge Crystal with each level increase
Sounds about the right level.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Social rank progression is now based on wizard level - 25 for Lord, 50 for King, 100 for Demigod and 200 for God. Alternatively Realm Karma can be used to directly purchase the next social rank.
I would have personally preferred the addition of an extra rank between each Social Rank, but that's just me. System wise, looks solid.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]There is a new system for joining realm battles as an ally or invader. Opportunities for invasion or allying now appear as buttons on the right of the screen when you are outside a realm. The game mode (law/chaos) and the rewards are identified.
Again, excellent. However, it might be an idea to allow the sound effect to be disabled as I can see it annoying some people if it is played too often. I also personally think Realms would benefit hugely if when Request Ally button is pressed that an On Duty AI Wizard is assigned should no one answer. It would both strengthen the reason for players to submit a build for duty as there would be a greater chance of their AI version being used plus would help even out the difficulty differential between those who are cooping and those who are not.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]The interface is reorganised with a tab system for the major game modes.
Massive improvement - looks fantastic. Top marks.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]There is a special effect for when an invader joins a realm battle.[/list]
Very useful, thanks!
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]There is a visual warning when the turn timer is about to expire.
Not sure about this to be honest. I personally found it distracting just when I need to concentrate most. I'd prefer something static and a sound effect such as the screen getting a border (like when you entered range combat in the original Chaos).
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Mana for burning first spell reduced from 9 to 8.
This nerfs battle mage builds, which is perhaps the point? Therefore for me, personally, I'm dead against it. Though again, that's just me and as I'm currently sporting a magic sword based build :)
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Bolt tower and air elemental defence increased by 10.
Not sure about increasing the Air Elemental's defence tbh but too soon to tell. However, I think it will likely be okay when it comes down to it.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]You can now dispel your own (or allied) blob around an enemy creature.
[*]AI creatures and wizards now obey engagement rules correctly.
[*]You can now see if your ally's creatures are real or illusion via the tooltip, just like you can with your own creatures.
[*]There is now a confirmation dialog when dismounting a wizard.
All top stuff, thanks again!
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Baculum Obligo talisman now ensures all spells matching staff start in hand (subject to hand-size constraint, and after Cantio Obligo), rather than just 3 spells.
No problem from my perspective.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Cantio Compositus talisman now adds one new random spell to deck before shuffle and redraw; activation cost increased.
[*]Bellivent talisman (retreat to void ranged attack) now works while mounted, and is always successful.
Not sure about these two - I sense they might be now overpowered. Will need to check.
Julian Gollop wrote:[*]Bestiae Secutus talisman no longer gives a range-bonus to Crystal Wall (Range is still boosted by Cantio Secutus).
[*]Draws in duel mode no longer reset your duel level.
[*]Fixed multiple empty or dot messages when activating talismans.[/list]
All cool.

Thanks for all the hard work guys! Hopefully the Epic Gear and Staffs will be just the start of a great way of giving players reasons to stick around by allowing them to build their character and also give them something to spend their gold on.

Farious

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:14 pm

awesome! going to be in this. Just got to do some realm editor stuffs :D

stubar

Post by stubar » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 pm

email notifications are AWESOME!!

setup gmail notifications via chrome add on and filtered the snapshot emails to an individual folder within gmail. then set a label rule in notifier for that folder only,

now i get a sound play from windows when i get a turn to play in CR and a counter of unread emails from snapshot in that folder. e.g turns to take :)

worto03

Post by worto03 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 pm

email notification is great as is the team illusion thing and draws not resetting dual level.

maybe the dismount confirmation should be optional, I think it's a great addition but with quicker turn times becoming popular we could do with a way to turn it off, by making the player turn it off they only have themselves to blame for accidental dismounts but it's all about choice.

loving the new tab menu system

One thing though - on the equip screen can we have a law mode equipment tab and a chaos mode equipment tab, then we can setup two loadouts and join every queue at once.

At the moment I have to select one loadout then try the queue then if I get no game after a while I go back to the loadouts and choose another one that works well in the other mode then join that queue :roll:

I'll happily play chaos or law mode as long as I have a loadout that suits the mode.

stubar

Post by stubar » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:58 pm

oh yeah i forgot about the team illusion thing. will play a 2v2 soon now.

UI is much better, a couple of things need slightly tuning but far from game-breaking.

good update, thanks Snaps :)