Realm Editor Development Plans

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Julian Gollop
Site Admin

Realm Editor Development Plans

Post by Julian Gollop » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Here is our list of potential upgrades for the realm editor.
  • Taboo editor - set taboos and when they appear, based on a points cost system.
  • Set the mercenaries available for each town.
  • Set the items available in the town shops. This would enable texts to refer to them.
  • Marauder editor - define the bodygear, staff, name and gender of the marauders appearing in the realm.
Please let me know what you think the priorities should be, and if you have any other suggestions for the realm editor.

NoWorries
GOD

Re: Realm Editor Development Plans

Post by NoWorries » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:12 pm

We need more flexibility with encounters. Primarily, I'd like more flexibility on where to place encounters. E.g., I'd like to place encounter on top of citadels, mana fluxes, settlements, villages, and anywhere that a wizard lord can be placed. Ideally, the encounter could be set to trigger either before or after any related wizard lord battle.

I'd also like to be able to set an encounter on top of the palace. What good is a boss fight unless we are assured that the boss can have his final, dramatic speech or deliver consequential, pre-battle choices.

This allows us to add more direct drama into the realm without having to go to absurd lengths to ensure that encounters are found at obligatory map choke points.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Julian Gollop wrote:Set the items available in the town shops. This would enable texts to refer to them.[/list]
Of the potential changes, this gives me the most pause. You'll need very active moderators to ensure that this isn't abused. And a lot is already being asked of our future moderators. (I hope, hope that moderators will be given 'at a glance' Realm summary tools that prevent them from having to personally test the Realm each time.) I like the current randomness of loot found in Realms. I'm also afraid that removing the randomness will only reinforce player biases as to what is valuable or not rather than encourage players to experiment.

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:36 pm

NoWorries wrote:We need more flexibility with encounters. Primarily, I'd like more flexibility on where to place encounters. E.g., I'd like to place encounter on top of citadels, mana fluxes, settlements, villages, and anywhere that a wizard lord can be placed. Ideally, the encounter could be set to trigger either before or after any related wizard lord battle.

I'd also like to be able to set an encounter on top of the palace. What good is a boss fight unless we are assured that the boss can have his final, dramatic speech or deliver consequential, pre-battle choices.

This allows us to add more direct drama into the realm without having to go to absurd lengths to ensure that encounters are found at obligatory map choke points.
This. +1

I've not much interest in any of the OP suggestions except perhaps being able to set the details of the Marauder. Enhancing the encounter system on the other hand (especially NoWorries suggestions and also the ability to activate/deactivate and make visible/invisible other encounters in encounter results) would be infinitely more useful and interesting.

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Also, some people have been very grumbly about 'undead' AI wizards in realms. In Arenji's Curse for example, about half have the Romero talisman, which makes the realm much harder than its level (3) justifies. Unfortunately I have no control over the talismans that my AI wizards get if they're manually created.

From the realm creation guide it seems like in future, AI wizards in a level 3 realm will not have any talismans. Is that change coming in the next version, or does it apply to any new realms created from now on?

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm not against being able to set items, but I'd care more about being able to set specific loot as rewards for winning specific Wizard Lord/King battles.

Also, for simplicity's sake, I'll just link to my own thread "Improving Realms by taking a minor cue or two from Darklands", and give a quick summary over here as to what I think would be a boon to have in the long run:

I'd like to be able to make encounters more complex, primarily by connecting several of them together as quest lines (maybe even with branching paths), tying the mercenaries in as actual individuals whose presence/survival can be necessary for future encounters, adding a realm inventory for quest items, et cetera. In short, I think expanding the encounter mechanic to simple text adventure dimensions would be extremely easy to accomplish, and give creators one hell of a tool to let their creativity run wild.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:48 pm

TΛPETRVE wrote:I'm not against being able to set items, but I'd care more about being able to set specific loot as rewards for winning specific Wizard Lord/King battles.
Allowing realm creators to forge a 'rare' item as the reward for finishing a realm would be fabulous. This might be an item with one more point to allocate than usual for example. Or an existing item with a small bonus to one random stat.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:49 pm

I think most of the comments have a theme: the best way to improve Realms is to deepen and improve how encounters can be used. Encounters are the heart and soul of a meaningful Realms experience. All else is secondary.

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Will marauder spawn locations be configurable?

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:07 pm

1 Allow us to also edit the Wizard Lord who fights alongside the Wizard King in the palace battle.

2 Allow us to create Classic Realms or Make one of the taboos Classic Mode. A significant number of players simply do not like to play equipped mode full stop. It would nice to be able to create realms which cater for them.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.