Realm Creation Guide WIP

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
anjovi

Re: Realm Creation Guide WIP

Post by anjovi » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:46 am

Psylum wrote: If you want these writing standards in the game i'd suggest having Allen write stories for your game designers realms. Not asking the player base and moderators with no professional background in game design or with writing fiction to make it for you. I'm just not willing to put myself through much to contribute to your success and i think I'm one of the nicer assholes. If you want player base to contribute then let the player base determine the value of those contributions and provide mechanical leashing and defined difficulty scaling so the player doesn't get screwed by the designer having to learn hidden game mechanics.
Agree with pretty much everything else you said but just wanted to emphasize my +1 here.

I wish that the game's difficulty was in a way leashed to difficulty level and that the way i placed everything was more just a way of decorating.

for example if level 8 difficulty was *insert %* reinforcements i feel like the number of citadels you placed would just distribute that total percentage as opposed to being the source of the % reinforcements. I feel this would be alot more intuitive for creators to make realms while ensuring a respectable difficulty to the realm.

Farious

Post by Farious » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:28 pm

anjovi wrote:
Psylum wrote: If you want these writing standards in the game i'd suggest having Allen write stories for your game designers realms. Not asking the player base and moderators with no professional background in game design or with writing fiction to make it for you. I'm just not willing to put myself through much to contribute to your success and i think I'm one of the nicer assholes. If you want player base to contribute then let the player base determine the value of those contributions and provide mechanical leashing and defined difficulty scaling so the player doesn't get screwed by the designer having to learn hidden game mechanics.
Agree with pretty much everything else you said but just wanted to emphasize my +1 here.
From what I've gleamed from the those who have had access to extracts from Allen's book, the Lore is pretty flexible and Allen's work won't cause problems for Realm creators. That said, imho the Lore that is on site isn't presented in a helpful fashion and is lacking in detail to the point of making you think there is a whole wealth of it missing that may trip you up. I've mentioned this before, but imho if there was a timeline just charting maybe half a dozen major historical events in the CR world people would feel a lot more comfortable in building Realms as they'd have a sense of what to avoid. The Lore to do with the Social Ranks, Guilds etc can then be used when those features are added to the game.

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:55 pm

It would be nifty if this lore was actually distributed through the offline realms.

Would be cool to learn as i'm playing, sort of acting as a singleplayer experience as well as a realm creation tutorial of sorts (seeing how things are laid out and of course learning core lore components in which to build upon in your own realms)

Farious

Post by Farious » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:28 pm

anjovi wrote:It would be nifty if this lore was actually distributed through the offline realms.

Would be cool to learn as i'm playing, sort of acting as a singleplayer experience as well as a realm creation tutorial of sorts (seeing how things are laid out and of course learning core lore components in which to build upon in your own realms)
+1, that would be great. The Lore though isn't that tricky from what I get, it's just lacking that extra detail to make it seem solid and 'trustworthy,' if that makes sense. For instance, the Lore page mentions the creating of the Portals to link the major Egregoroi groups across the Earth but doesn't date it, just saying it happened at the same time as Marco Polo's last great journey so I guess the Portal Web was completed in 1295AD? That's right, right? Sure, you can ask Allen but that means the answer is in a forum thread and some people who might want to reference a bit of Lore might not feel confident in asking or be unwilling to wait for a response. I guess, what I'm saying is, if something is mentioned as Lore it needs the date there in big scary numerals & letters even if it's an event everyone knows about (like the fall of the Greek and Roman Empires for instance). And it needs to be bridged properly to prevent any ambiguity maybe saying something like 'Despite the presence and work of the Egregoroi, the major events of history continued to unfolded unaltered; the Roman Empire was still divided in to east and west, with the west ending in 476 AD...' etc.

Personally, I think the Lore is a great base and can add a load of richness to Realms but even I've hesitated about mentioning historical events as it stands. In conclusion, I'd say it's almost there, but just not quite enough to be 100% certain about what, where, and when.