Realm Creation Guide WIP

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:25 pm

• NoWorries wrote:
    SpiteAndMalice wrote:Maps can not contain geometric shapes. How does this even make sense?

Single-wide landmasses shaped to look like smiley faces and the like? That does not fit into the universe of Chaos Reborn.

What, in the Chaos universe people never make anything that's geometric?

the-sphinx-at-gizacairo-in-egypt-with-the-pyramid-of-chephren-khafre-in-the-background.jpg

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:57 pm

• The realms are composed of remnants of the shattered Earth and other celestial detritus. There is a world of difference (pun intended) between wizards facilitating the construction of large monuments and palaces and wizards creating entire, massive land masses. Just because a wizard can summon a dragon does not mean a wizard can create an entire planet, continent, or even island in the exact manner of their desire. Perhaps think of it more of finding and exploiting available, natural resources. E.g., a Realm Creator's tools are not necessarily the same in-character powers available to Wizard Kings.

That said, there is room (and perhaps need) for clarification on the matter from Allen Stroud in his lore thread.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:04 pm

• NoWorries wrote:The realms are composed of remnants of the shattered Earth and other celestial detritus. There is a world of difference (pun intended) between wizards facilitating the construction of large monuments and palaces and wizards creating entire, massive land masses. Just because a wizard can summon a dragon does not mean a wizard can create an entire planet, continent, or even island in the exact manner of their desire. Perhaps think of it more of finding and exploiting available, natural resources. E.g., a Realm Creator's tools are not necessarily the same in-character powers available to Wizard Kings.

That said, there is room (and perhaps need) for clarification on the matter from Allen Stroud in his lore thread.

They can also summon Giants, and Giants can move rocks.

Jakarta-sinking.jpg

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:07 pm

• Yes. But the landmasses that players create seem more like the crust of the earth which support both the lands and seas referenced in your picture. Superficial re-arrangment of surface features does not seem the same as world creation. In any event, I've sought official clarification from Mr. Stroud here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3206&p=39097#p39097

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:28 am

• The problem I have with the guide is that It provides no guidance. It provides areas for rejection. It seems more like they went through the submissions and decided what they didn't like and made an arbitrary statement to allow for rejection. Everything is "Too Much","Too confusing", "try to avoid" or "uninteresting" these provide no guidance without a preset scale to determent what "too much" is. The only concrete guidance I can find is, cities must have descriptions.

Why Whimsical (fantastical/playful is my assumed definition) humor is worse then other forms of humor is only because it's the hardest to avoid in a fantasy setting with cartoons.

Most writers get pissed at editors for altering there work. If getting 10-15 bucks isn't worth the hassle of catering to Cosmo standards for public consumption. Why would I cater to these when the goal isn't a short story it's a game. I like researching for stories but I'm not going to research a lore scattered among multiple forums for literary accuracy that the average reader is not aware of. I'm more likely to research the sources that Allen borrowed from or use scientific accuracy for educational purposes. I consider writing as a personal art form if someone else happens to enjoy it. It's a bonus. However the top rated realm is not story based it's a tutorial.

If you want these writing standards in the game i'd suggest having Allen write stories for your game designers realms. Not asking the player base and moderators with no professional background in game design or with writing fiction to make it for you. I'm just not willing to put myself through much to contribute to your success and i think I'm one of the nicer assholes. If you want player base to contribute then let the player base determine the value of those contributions and provide mechanical leashing and defined difficulty scaling so the player doesn't get screwed by the designer having to learn hidden game mechanics.
    Psylum

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:41 am

• NoWorries wrote:The realms are composed of remnants of the shattered Earth and other celestial detritus. There is a world of difference (pun intended) between wizards facilitating the construction of large monuments and palaces and wizards creating entire, massive land masses.

So we can create entire massive land masses, just not in geometric shapes?

What's going on, are wizards all a bit drunk or something, are they seeing double, are their visors in need of a wipe? Do wizards not have the ability to draw a straight line? Or have they just not invented Groma and Chorobates?

We've got meglomanic wizards ruling realms and down footing the peasantry, but not one of those wizards has it in them to build a folly in the shape of a smiley face?

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:43 am

• Psylum wrote:The problem I have with the guide is that It provides no guidance. It provides areas for rejection. It seems more like they went through the submissions and decided what they didn't like and made an arbitrary statement to allow for rejection. Everything is "Too Much","Too confusing", "try to avoid" or "uninteresting" these provide no guidance without a preset scale to determent what "too much" is. The only concrete guidance I can find is, cities must have descriptions.

Why Whimsical (fantastical/playful is my assumed definition) humor is worse then other forms of humor is only because it's the hardest to avoid in a fantasy setting with cartoons.

Most writers get pissed at editors for altering there work. If getting 10-15 bucks isn't worth the hassle of catering to Cosmo standards for public consumption. Why would I cater to these when the goal isn't a short story it's a game. I like researching for stories but I'm not going to research a lore scattered among multiple forums for literary accuracy that the average reader is not aware of. I'm more likely to research the sources that Allen borrowed from or use scientific accuracy for educational purposes. I consider writing as a personal art form if someone else happens to enjoy it. It's a bonus. However the top rated realm is not story based it's a tutorial.

If you want these writing standards in the game i'd suggest having Allen write stories for your game designers realms. Not asking the player base and moderators with no professional background in game design or with writing fiction to make it for you. I'm just not willing to put myself through much to contribute to your success and i think I'm one of the nicer assholes. If you want player base to contribute then let the player base determine the value of those contributions and provide mechanical leashing and defined difficulty scaling so the player doesn't get screwed by the designer having to learn hidden game mechanics.

This is bang on!

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:51 pm

• Yeah it would be difficult to motivate myself to spend 20 hours on a realm if I'm going to fall foul of lore-fascists. It's a lot of work to be faced with a rejection notice however nicely worded. I think my reaction would be to swear at the screen and go play something else.

I'm happy to moderate bad language, racism etc, or realms that have been knocked up in 10 minutes with no thought to any kind of 'flow', but imposing anything stricter just leaves us with a boring homogeneous gooey blob of a pile of realms.

I would MUCH rather have better ways to rank and review the realms I play, or ways to categorise the realms I make. Let's not restrict people's creativity. Let's just identify what sort of realm it is so I can find the story ones I want to play and ignore the trivia games :)
    Tess
    GOD

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:19 pm

• Are there lore fascists then? Who are they?
    AllenStroud

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:05 pm

• AllenStroud wrote:Are there lore fascists then? Who are they?

I'd say it's generally not knowing where the edges are for lore and the rejection terms. Including myself. Currently the lore and the game are separate entities. Having the lore introduced to the new player experience in the realms should help join them so the lore culture can feed off of the gaming culture. Hopefully new realm designers will have the lore ingrained in to them as just how the world works. Right now It's not so much about lore as much as new player progression and realm designer/content barriers.
    Psylum

PreviousNext

Return to Realm Design

Information